The Galata Tower (Turkish: Galata Kulesi) is located in Istanbul in Turkey to the north of the Golden Horn
One of the city's most striking landmarks, it is a huge, cone-capped cylinder that dominates the skyline on the Galata side of the Golden Horn. The original tower was destroyed during the Fourth Crusade, but it was rebuilt as the Tower of Christ in 1348 during an expansion of the Genoese colony in Istanbul. It was the apex of the fortifications of Genoese Galata.
The tower was rebuilt several times during the Ottoman period and it was used at times by the Mevlevi Order of dervishes for their sema ceremonies. In the 1990s it was restored and opened to the public. There is a modern restaurant and cafe on its upper floors which commands a magnificent view of Istanbul and the Bosphorus.
In 17th century, Hezarfen Ahmet Çelebi flew as the first aviator using artificial wings from this tower over the Bosphorus to the slopes of Üsküdar on the Anatolian side.